Wow, I cannot believe it’s been over a year since I last worked on this piece! In my defense, I started a new job working in VR, and then last month started working at a games studio so I have been busy… (a major update about that coming soon!)
I’ve been heavily inspired after catching up on the series last night! Spent much of the time on my workflow and direction for the piece though. I want to capture as much of a feel of Steven Universe as possible, but it has been proving really difficult to get the handdrawn/outline look of the show without either spending an insane amount of time duplicating polys and tweaking, or using the inverted normal method which uses too many polys… i’m sure there is a tech way of doing it but I am not there yet! (though I may use the inverted normal method for final images).
Further, just drawing the lines by hand results in really poor fidelity unless each asset’s texture is at least 512 so that’s a no go.
I’m quite happy with the atlas technique I used for the Steven Universe cafe though, so I am stripping all the textures and starting from scratch – it won’t be 100% accurate to the show, but I can live with that if it actually means I get the thing made!
So… have a new floor and a bedcover!
Still alive! Just really, really busy, but have made the decision to put more time aside for personal art as I miss it so much, and also because this piece has been sitting unfinished for a very long time and that just wont do. Two flags made today – not a lot, but a start!
Little bit more of the Shiba character, probably finish him up tomorrow!
I’ve actually had time to work on personal projects this weekend! High poly done, just working on retopo for this piece – really looking forward to texturing this one!
Less thank 2 weeks left and I thought it was a good time to add another terrain texture, for some reason! Still, getting the texturing underway at a good pace now. I am also very excited as I rigged and animated my first asset, and got it into Unity with no issues – it’s just the kelp, moving in the current, but I am still very happy about the whole thing! (next; learn how to make videos of the scene…)
Last of the corals blocked in, promise. Felt like it needed a couple more taller species to break up the space so I made those today. Also have the main rock piece in the scene. Tomorrow, definitely tackling the kelp animation and then start texturing finally…
Bit more done – some new corals, objects, just slowly filling the world. Most base meshes done, time to start detailing and texturing!